[OM] Re: [OT] Trans-shipping personal goods including cameras

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Trans-shipping personal goods including cameras
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:58:07 -0600
Alan Wood wrote:
> Garth
>
> You CAN now take hand baggage on flight to and from the UK, but smaller than
> was previously allowed.

Alan:

The problem, as it was discussed with me by a sympathetic ear on the
other end of my call to FedEx, is that there are no guarantees that
either the Canadian or British authorities won't slam down even tighter
restrictions while I'm on vacation, which would effectively hoop me anyways.

I need a guarantee that I can personally safeguard my equipment on both
legs of the journey, otherwise I'm just shooting craps.  I originally
switched to digital (a KonicaMinolta A1) to get around how they were
nuking film multiple times.  Now they've made digital a crapshoot, too
-- only now you're gambling with the survival of your equipment as well
as your images.

And finally, the reduced size of the hand baggage makes it very
difficult to even get a minimal kit, especially since I have to carry
prescription and non-prescription drugs with me as well.

This isn't what I call a "solution" -- more like a new obstacle.

Garth