[OM] Re: Tripod vibration - was Re: odd lens question

Subject: [OM] Re: Tripod vibration - was Re: odd lens question
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:07:24 -0700 (PDT)
> The frequency for a sympathetic vibration seems to be much
> lower for the CF legs versus the metal legs.

Welcome to the world of composites. High-frequency vibrations
are easily muted (or passed--depending on fiber layup), but
low-frequency oscillations are harder to deal with. In reality,
CF is probably more LF vibration resistant than most aluminum
tripods--it's just that without the HF vibrations, you notice
the LF vibrations more.

You might want try using a looped string coming down from the
leg-mount area to the ground. Put your foot in the loop to
provide downward pressure on the tripod. This puts tension into
the vertical loading which stabilizes the tripod greatly.
Alternatively, you can hang your camera bag from the center of
the tripod.

> My Tamron 400/4 has been working much better with the CF Gitzo
> but I think that's because of the Acratech head versus the
> Manfrotto head (actually I think the quick release on the
> Manfrotto head was the weakest link - problems with creep
> rather than vibration).

Manfrotto QR plates are definitely the weekest link in the
system. You can't attach a QR plate to your camera tight enough
to eliminate movement. This, however, is only a problem with
larger, heavier lenses.

The Bogan 3021 tripd has another horrid vibration week spot. The
bottom legs have too narrow of an outside diameter and they come
out from the mid-sections too far. When fully extended there is
a ton of flex at these joints. Best thing to do is to leave at
least four inches of lower leg unextended. This will tighten up
the tripod and reduce the lateral twist too. Also, by changing
up the extended length of the bottom and middle sections you
break of the harmonics that build between the two sections.
Fully extended, the 3021 will "sing" when you tap the legs.
Backing off the extension slightly, will deaden the sound.

Now you know...

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com