[OM] Re: E-1 craving

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 craving
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 13:30:51 -0700 (PDT)
> If it's just a case of itchy desire to buy something, consider
> how it will feel a few days after you get it. I find that
> when I make that kind of buy, I feel sort of let down soon
> after getting whatever it is. It's addictive behavior and
> like all addictions, I would have to keep upping the dose and
> the frequency. When I buy a piece of equipment that allows
> me to do something new that I wanted to be able to do, the
> enjoyment lasts and lasts.

Now that is really interesting.  I'm going on almost 18 months
with my E-1 and I have yet to get that feeling.  Granted, I've
desired more pixels, but that has to do with some technical
requirement for some types of shooting, not anything to do with
emotional desire to get "the latest greatest".

Some things about the E-1 are moronic, but in keeping with that
theme, it was moronic for Olympus to not have the aperture
setting visible in the OM viewfinder, either.  It was moronic
for Olympus to not upgrade the stupid cloth shutter in the OM.
But, for all the stupid aspects of the OM system, there were
unique advantages to the system and ergonomic thoughtfullnesses
(is that a word?) which is why we are even here on this list!

It's more than specifications. It's more than the quirks and
shortcomings.  It's a package thing and a usage philosophy which
you either get or you don't.  I don't "get" Canon. Most people
don't "get" Olympus.

With the E-1, it's unique, it's blindingly slow, it's a real cow
when compared to Canon's latest greatest.  But it's a camera
that never ceases to bring a smile to my face every time I take
it out of the bag.  I might have to work a little harder to get
some shots, but I'm still getting the shots.

Oh, and to answer the question:  I favour Cameta.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com