[OM] Re: Incident-light metering and other matters

Subject: [OM] Re: Incident-light metering and other matters
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Aug 2006 14:17:54 -0400
Thanks for the reminder.  The linear gamma article is basically the same
message as contained in Michael Reichmann's article "Expose (to the)
Right" on Luminous Landscape.  And the source is probably the same since
Bruce Fraser (the author of your link) is from Adobe.  Reichmann's
article derives from conversations with Thomas Knoll who is the original
author of PhotoShop and Adobe Camera Raw.
<http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/expose-right.shtml>

While the lesson is valid I don't think it has any particular relation
to the use of the incident meter or the camera's meter.  Unless,
however, it be the reason that manufacturers such as Canon and Minolta
have underrated their ISO sensititivies.  If Canon claims that the
sensor is ISO 100 when it's really 125, if I set ISO 100 on my external
incident meter then I will overexpose by 1/3 stop and throw that
histogram to the right.  But I'd like to deliberately choose to do that
if I want to instead of having it hidden from me.

Anyhow, I have not had any exposure problems using the incident meter
but I am not a landscape type of guy.  Lighting for most of my work is
pretty well controlled and is more often flash or flash fill than plain
old natural light in all its 11 stop (or whatever) glory.

Chuck Norcutt