[OM] Re: Helpful hints for RAID

Subject: [OM] Re: Helpful hints for RAID
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:43:37 +0100
Indeed, thanks Scott.  But I can't forget the experience of a friend whose
son-in-law set up a twin HD mirrored array.  Worked just fine until Win XP
Checkdisk decided it really needed to recover the disk directory, and really
didn't need to seek permisssion.  So it went ahead to rearrange (technical
term for "completely destroy") the directory.  The disk controller duly
mirrored the new directory.  Nothing so far has succeeded in recovering the
GBs of lost (but fully backed-up) images.

I don't know what kind of mirroring was in use.  I don't like to ask.  I
wouldn't want to be that son-in-law.

--
Piers