[OM] Re: Tokina 3X telephoto lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Tokina 3X telephoto lens
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:02:04 -0600
Tim Randles wrote:
> I see this lens on ebay, to fit my 40-150mm lens and apparantly give me a bit
> better zoom ( based on the images on the ebay pages.
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/3X-TELEPHOTO-FITS-OLYMPUS-E-300-E-1-EVOLT-ZOOM-SEE-LIST_W0QQitemZ200007672362QQihZ010QQcategoryZ106876QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My original reply (along with my subscription -- gotta check into that)
got blown away about twelve hours ago.  Good thing, too -- it contained
erroneous technical advice (hey, I've been renovating my house for days
now, and I'm getting a little punchy...).  Anyways, others here have
covered the tech stuff.

I've tried to find this "Tokina"-branded 3X telephoto converter
elsewhere than on ePay's site, and I'm running into a brick wall.  No
mention of it on B&H's site.  No mention of it at www.thkphoto.com,
which is the website of the distributors of Tokina in North America
(although this same site does show a number of Kenko-brand
teleconverters similar in appearance to the one on the ePay auction).  I
have no idea if this is a real product, or if some kind of
bait-and-switch is going on, and the "Tokina" brand name was simply
Photoshopped in to the picture accompanying the auction.  Mebbe it's a
direct import from Japan, and the North American distributors just don't
carry it or list it.  Yet my spidey-sense is tingling, at least a bit.

I wouldn't bid on this.

Garth