[OM] Re: Tokina 3X telephoto lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Tokina 3X telephoto lens
From: Garth <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 19:48:12 -0600
Tim Randles wrote:
> I see this lens on ebay, to fit my 40-150mm lens and apparantly give me a bit
> better zoom ( based on the images on the ebay pages.
> http://cgi.ebay.ca/3X-TELEPHOTO-FITS-OLYMPUS-E-300-E-1-EVOLT-ZOOM-SEE-LIST_W0QQitemZ200007672362QQihZ010QQcategoryZ106876QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
>

> question: Is this a suitable alternative to buying a *MUCH* more expensive
> telephoto lens for a beginner such as myself? I saw some 300mm telephoto
> lenses that were upwards of 5K..

I don't think it's a good alternative at all.  For one thing, with a 3X
teleconverter, your close-end wide-open F-stop on both of your kit
lenses will be F/10.5.  That's *abysmally* dark, even in broad daylight.
  You're gonna need every ounce of speed if you're racked out to 450mm
on an E-series, and F/10.5 (at its brightest!) is not gonna help.  In
fact, if you push your 40-150 out to 150 (to get 450mm total, or 900mm
equivalent on a 35mm camera), your wide-open F-stop would be 4.5 x 3, or
F/13.5.

Ye Gods.

You may not be able to get to 1/500th of a second, which would be the
minimum you'd need to insure against too much camera shake ruining your
shots.

> Does anyone know if this lens will continue to work with the AF features? ( I
> dont think it does because the price is so low, but could be wrong..)

It *looks* like it actually screws into the filter threads on the front
of your kit lenses, and it claims it's AF, so...

Mebbe someone else on the List has better info than I do.

Garth