[OM] OT - Lenses/weight of 5D

Subject: [OM] OT - Lenses/weight of 5D
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 08:49:26 -0700
While carrying around the 5D with slightly larger lenses (Zuiko 35-80/2.8,
Vivitar 450/4.5) on a short metal tripod I felt my arm was getting close to
strained. Years ago I switched from an aluminum Manfrotto tripod to a CF
Gitzo after carrying a Zuiko 600 mounted on the tripod for most of a day. My
arm was sore the next day. I'm not wanting to repeat that if it can be
avoided. (I normally carry the tripod in one hand, hanging down at my side.
Seldom over my shoulder nor strapped to a backpack)

This rightly or wrongly has convinced me to stay away from the nice heavy
f2.8 C*non glass. Johnny's recent thoughts about switching has added more
conviction. While searching for some piece of gear I found a 15mm f3.5 for
auction and while checking out whether it was any good found some
interesting info about lenses on the 5D.

Caution if you are thinking about putting N*kon glass on your 5D !!! ...

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/15mm_2/index.html

At the end of this article the tester switched to a thicker adapter and
found the lens improved dramatically!!!

The same website has some test results of the Tamron 28-75/2.8. The Tamron
is looking like a possible midrange zoom for the 5D. It is quite light and
seems to give respectable performance. The other alternative would be the
24-105/4 C*non glass.

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/35mm_e.html

Continuing on with my circular reasoning, if I do look for a wider lens than
my Zuiko 18mm to mount on my 5D it will probably be a Sigma 12-24. (same
website) The resolution isn't something to praise but it should be more than
adequate for taking interior pictures of houses where the main use of the
picture is for the web or a relatively small image on a printed fact sheet.

(The Zuiko 7-14 on an E-1 can do essentially everything the 12-24 can, but
the 5D can mount my shift lenses. Also the Quantum to Olympus flash support
is weaker than Quantum to C*non)

-jeff