[OM] Re: Storage devices

Subject: [OM] Re: Storage devices
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 15:06:06 -0700
Bernard Frangoulis wrote:
>> I guess the definition of "field" changes one's viewpoint.  Tramping
>> around France and Britain for a month alters my perception of a small
>> modern laptop from "useful" to "useful...as a boat anchor."
>>
> Not to mention India, Cambodia... And in addition, in many cases I wouldn't
> trust leaving the computer in the hotel room. And carrying a computer in a
> backpack that will be carelessly tossed on top a bus on Gujarat's bumpy roads
> and under a mercilless sun... no thanks. Take it with me in the bus? I barely
> have the space to sit... ;-)

When I take up that kind of travel, I'll rethink. Most of my travel
these days includes a rental car, accommodations likely of a higher
standard that you are talking about and relatively uncrowded areas.

When somebody posted about how some European cities were already crowded
in May, I thought again how much I prefer uncrowded areas with lots of
nature. Mt Desert Island, which crawls with tourists in summer and peak
leaf peeping season was just magical right after the leaves turned. We
hiked down and up a creek in the heart of the park for maybe three hours
and didn't see anybody. It was glorious, and beautiful!

I'll admit it, I even spend a week a year in a 5 star luxury resort time
share on a tropical beach. The photo opportunities aren't always that
great, although they were pretty good in PV last December. But there are
compnesations... Can you say sybarite? ;-)

Moose