[OM] Re: Fixing non-focusing lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Fixing non-focusing lenses
From: John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 08:44:15 -0400
Well, full reassembly is not really required.  You have to start with
basically correct mechanical positions. When you screw the helicoid in
and almost all the way down (infinity) the 2 slots in that tube have to
line up with the 2 sets of screw holes which hold the keys in.  One
thing that makes this all more difficult is if the focus ring had been
taken off, in which case you lose the original infinity setting. If you
screw the helicoid down, focus ring is at infinity, and the key slots
line up, then you put the keys in. Then you can fine tune infinity by
adjusting the position of the focus ring.

If the helicoid is not screwed down far enough before the keys go in,
and lens is set up that way, the first time you focus out for close
focus, helicoid will probably become disengaged again.

John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743
631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977
http://www.zuiko.com  |  omtech1 AT verizon.net