[OM] Re: Fixing non-focusing lenses

Subject: [OM] Re: Fixing non-focusing lenses
From: John Hermanson <omtech1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:43:57 -0400
Sounds like the focus helicoid was unscrewed.  The thread has multiple
starting points, so if the correct one is not used, it will not focus
properly and diaphragm levers will be in the wrong place. If you have
another 1.4 to compare it to, remove the rear mount to see where the
inner barrel should be when focused to infinity.  Remove the keys from
the defective lens (2 metal "fingers" that extend into the lens, held
into lens by 2 screws each), screw the front barrel out until the
threads disengage (you can mark the point of disengagement with a pencil
on the edge of the filter ring, lined up with where infinity mark on
focus ring is. Hopefully focus ring has not been taken off.  I do not
know to what point this lens has been dis-assembled).

Keep turning slightly until next set of threads click in place, screw
into lens most of the way and see if slots in tube line up with where
the keys go. Eventually, you'll try all the starting points, one of
which is correct.

John Hermanson
Camtech Photo Services, Inc.
21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743
631-424-2121 | Olympus OM Service since 1977
http://www.zuiko.com  |  omtech1 AT verizon.net