[OM] Re: Storage devices

Subject: [OM] Re: Storage devices
From: Tim Hughes <timhughes@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 17:45:18 -0700 (PDT)
Maybe the old Accers were bad, but my experience was different, I had a low
cost Accer for about
1.4years, until it was stolen recently and it was very reliable and withstood
some very long
international travel trips and drops. No reboots or other unexplained problems.
My only complaint short battery run time on standard battery. I only paid $500
for it new and it
included more memory,dvd writer, larger HD etc.than most of the current $400
offerings.

All newer Accer's have a very nice high efficiency multi antenae system built
into the lid , which
really does greatly improve wifi range (even better than the "mimo super G
technology"). I
currently have a toshiba I bought for about the same price ($500), the case is
sturdier and it is
a little lighter, but it's wifi performance is dramatically worse. I used to
use the accer
enhanced wifi for skype calls internationally while traveling. If I could not
find a hotspot with
enough bandwidth (common in 3rd world countries), I would mooch a bit of
bandwidth from a local
company's unsecured net.   Having a greatly improved range/throughput with no
external antenae was
a huge advantage there.

The accer screens also seem to have better contrast and viewing angle, than
other low cost
laptops. I actually used PS quite a bit while traveling, so screen quality was
important even at
the low price point.  There are often compaq's at $400-500 on special
currently, but given the
better wifi,more memory,dvd writer and better viewing screens, I would
definitely not write off
Accer at this price point.

Tim Hughes