[OM] Re: Storage devices

Subject: [OM] Re: Storage devices
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 20:50:57 +0200
Le jeudi 06 Juillet 2006 19:49, ScottGee1 a écrit :
> CompUSA will offer this one:
>
> http://tinyurl.com/n9w27
>
> tomorrow (2006-07-07) only at $399.  Part of their 'One Item Per Day
> At A Crazy Price' week of sales.
>
> Today I bought from them a 160GB external USB 2.0 drive which, after
> rebates and tax will cost <US$40.
>
> How DO they do it?  :D

When a bargain looks too good to be true, it certainly is ! Acer did not
earned a very nice reputation in the laptop field, ranking somewhere at the
bottom along with fire prone Dells and consumer grade medions. Far from
Toshiba, Apple and lenovo.

In particular, the Acpi is atrociously bad, causing reboot and hangs. It took
time for devoted linuxers to rewrite a clean acpi code just to be able to run
linux on them (and of course, it's not mainstream, and I don't think it's
easy to tweak acpi the same way with windows).

Last but not least, this is obviously and end of line model, far too short to
handle the newcoming vista gracefully. And it's not expandable either,
because all slots are filled.

So if you're willing to pay for a computer with a one year life expectancy,
that's fine, but otherwise that's just giving a hand to help the seller empty
his shelves before christmas.

I hope you usb drive is better. Be cautious at thermal dissipation / control,
those enclosures can go really hot (I tweaked one I had to extract more air
as the disk inside was suffering a lot, acording to S.M.A.R.T. reports - now
it's OK, but this is a device I can't really trust anymore because of the
abuses it suffered)

--
Manuel Viet