[OM] Re: picture in the fog

Subject: [OM] Re: picture in the fog
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 22:11:12 -0400
At 08:37 PM 7/5/2006, Wayne Culberson wrote:

>I guess we're supposed to photograph the subject matter we see every day.
>
>Living close to the ocean, we often get foggy driving conditions, as it was
>this evening. But it's no problem really; following the center line will
>keep you going straight.
>
>http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/1485763/1/79785216

I can see how following that center line will keep you on the road
but I don't see any way that it can keep you going straight!  ;-)

I absolutely love looking at pictures taken in the fog - mountain
streams shrouded in mist, fall scenes with fog that make the colors
pop, light houses with fog rolling in around them - I'm a sucker for
all of them.  But, I had never taken a fog picture myself until a
couple of weeks ago.  Mitchelle and I were up at Roan Mountain on the
North Carolina/Tennessee border.  The catawba rhododendrons were at
peak bloom at around 5,000-6,000 feet and there was some low lying
cloud cover.  It seemed like an excellent opportunity to get some
"mist" pictures but I found it to be harder than it looked to get a
good shot.  It seemed like, at least in a lot of my shots, that the
mist was more of a hindrance than enhancement to my compositions.  I
guess I need to study this type of picture more and try to determine
what makes them work in my eye and then apply that to my next attempt.

Anyway, here's a link to one of my better shots that day:

<http://home.alltel.net/jjohnso4/CatawbaRhododendron.jpg>

(And I still don't know if the mist added anything.)

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA