[OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]

Subject: [OM] Re: F30 review, but partly on topic [was Protective Filters]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 20:24:24 -0700
Mike wrote:
>> I don't think so. It is hard to think of any area in the 5D that
>> needs to be significantly improved that will make better photographs......
> That may be true or not but one thing for sure can use some improvement
> and that is the huge size of the dang things. I'd be way more inclined
> to ditch the OM4 if I could get a full frame digital about the same size.

They have certainly made progress. The 5D is a great deal smaller and
lighter than the 'pro' full frame models.

I don't think something OM size is in the cards in any reasonable time
span. There are a few reasons I can see easily.

- They need good sized batteries.

- They require more space behind the focal plane for sensor, LCD and
controls than was needed for just film and a back cover/pressure plate.

- Big LCDs really do make them more usable. The one on the 5D is about
as tall as an OM body back plate.

- They have many more controls than OMs and need real estate for all
those buttons and knobs in versions usable for those with big fingers.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a FF body closer in size to the 30D , or
even 300D, but I don't think anything smaller will turn up anytime soon.

I'm not familiar with other brands, but looking at my two Can*ns, there
isn't a lot of unused space on the body surface except where fingers,
palm and thumb go. I could operate one with controls smaller and closer
together, but many folks have larger finger tips than I. I'm not
suggesting that they can't be made smaller, just not down to OM size
without some major technological and engineering changes. And those big
bodies do have one thing going for them, they are less affected by
mirror vibration due to their greater mass.

Moose