[OM] Re: Recommendations in San Diego

Subject: [OM] Re: Recommendations in San Diego
From: "Gary W. Marklund" <Gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 10:42:00 -0700
On Monday 03 July 2006 09:34, Philip Pemberton wrote:
> Gary W. Marklund wrote:
> > Yes, they will hand check film in the U.S. I just went through this. I
> > removed it from the containers and put the cannisters in a ZipLoc bag.
> > Politely ask for a hand check. If they start to tell you about how safe
> > their equipment is, tell them you will be exposing a good deal of your
> > film at 3200 ASA. Give yourself plenty of time. If they refuse, politely
> > request to speak to their supervisor. I don't think that will be
> > necessary. You should not have a problem.
>
> But if you're flying from the UK, don't even THINK of trying that at
> Manchester... Unless, that is, you enjoy the thought of one of their
> "trained expert security staff" talking to you in the tone generally
> reserved for dogs about "our equipment is perfect" and "even 3200ASA won't
> be damaged, it's all the same as the 100 anyway". And my personal favourite
> - "You're not talking to my supervisor, even if you're the bloody Queen,
> mate."
>
> And people wonder why I hate flying...

I agree. After seven weeks in Europe, I'm on my "I'll never fly again in my
life mode." I was able to get a handcheck at Heathrow on the return flight.
We were flying Virgin Atlantic Upper Class (on mileage, I'm not rich) and we
used their Fast Pass security check. If you can swing that, you may even get
a handcheck in the UK.

Gary