[OM] Re: IS Rant redux x [was Somebody stop me, please....]

Subject: [OM] Re: IS Rant redux x [was Somebody stop me, please....]
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 09:11:32 -0700 (PDT)
> The other consideration is that focal plane stabilization is
> just not as good as that built into a lens. It is just having
> to move too much mass too quickly compared to the mechanism
> that uses optical elements  in a lens.

I suspect it has less to do with "technology" and more to do
with quality of engineering. The AS as implemented in my A1 is
outstanding, but I suspect that the APS version just needed a
little more time to get it better.

> The focal plan systems undoubtedly up more battery as
> well and the in lens VR/IS systems already suck up a lot of
> power.

You would think. But in actual usage, the AS system as
implemented by Minolta really is quite effecient and only
operates when the the shutter is pressed. Reads and writes to
storage and image processing take up far more energy. I have
absolutely no grouse about the power consumption of my A1 with
or without the AS. Power consumption of the AS mechanism is
negligable.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com