[OM] Re: IS Rant redux x [was Somebody stop me, please....]

Subject: [OM] Re: IS Rant redux x [was Somebody stop me, please....]
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 20:23:44 -0700
All very true. In addition, according to the first reports coming in
on the Nikon VR 105/2.8 Micro, it does nothing for macro shots
either. The few stops of gain with stabilization is just not enough
and a tripod is still needed.

The other consideration is that focal plane stabilization is just not
as good as that built into a lens. It is just having to move too much
mass too quickly compared to the mechanism that uses optical elements
in a lens. The lens systems consistently get more stops of
stabilization.  The focal plan systems undoubtedly up more battery as
well and the in lens VR/IS systems already suck up a lot of power.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA