[OM] Re: Somebody stop me, please....

Subject: [OM] Re: Somebody stop me, please....
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2006 01:06:05 -0400
At 12:02 PM 6/30/2006, Jeff Keller wrote:

>There's been a number of people who've recently bought C*non 5D bodies
>lately. Johnny seems to be happy with the C*non glass but hasn't said
>anything about IS.

My medium telephoto (70-200mm f2.8) is an IS.  It takes nice, sharp
pictures but, as Moose said, you may pay a weight penalty for the IS
(at least with some Canon glass).  I shoot it off a tripod most of
the time so I'm thinking about retiring it and replacing it with the
f4.0 version without IS at less than half the weight.

Here's a shot taken with it of Balanced Rock in Arches National Park
- shot at 70mm:

<http://home.alltel.net/jjohnso4/5D%2020060430-0051.jpg>

For those reading this message that aren't familiar with Balanced
Rock - the "balanced" portion of the formation is approximately 55
feet tall and the entire formation is ~130 feet tall.  As my Papa
used to say: "It's a sight for sore eyes!"

Oh yeah - on the other hand, I'm also thinking about replacing the
24-70mm, f2.8 non IS lens with the 24-105mm, f4.0 IS.  That's a focal
length range that I hand-hold a lot and the IS would partially make
up for my unsteady hands and it weighs considerably less than the 24-70mm.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA