[OM] Walt dares criticize Moose photos

Subject: [OM] Walt dares criticize Moose photos
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:19:48 +0000
I'm probably going to regret this, but it won't be even the 100th time that's
happened.  I will at least preface this with the cowardly caveat that there's
nobody on this list whose expertise and knowledge I respect, even revere, more
than that of our Moose.  I was actually astounded by the miracles he recently
wrought wielding PS on a couple of old slide scans of mine I just couldn't
manage to make right.

But, anyway, here goes.

Although a great bird pose, it looks to me like this shot is on the verge of
being oversharpened.  And the bokeh!  I am not a bokeh fiend like some here, so
it takes something really bad to make me notice, and this is just harsh,
jarring, at least to my old eyes.

http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/LobosCrow.htm

This one looks oversharpened, too, but at least the bokeh isn't startling.

http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/LobosSparrow.htm

I linked to a couple of bluebird shots I took with the 500/8 Zuiko and E-1 some
time back, and I admitted that the first was oversharpened and oversaturated.
Compare it, if you will, to the aforementioned.

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1079.jpg

Subsequently, I offered another shot, more honest in terms of both sharpness
and saturation:

http://home.att.net/~hiwayman/wsb/media/192375/site1080.jpg

I'm probably going to get my clock cleaned, my ignorance exposed, and maybe
even my ass handed to me for these observations and criticisms, but I know
Moose will at least do so with class and good humor, something I wish a couple
of ex-wives had managed.  At least, I don't think he'll be backing up a truck
while I'm at work and hauling away everything, including the dog.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --