[OM] Re: Protective Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: Protective Filters
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:38:36 -0700 (PDT)
My lenses are generally "commando" too. Several months ago, I
FINALLY after all these years actually damaged a lens element.
In my 14-54 no less.

What happened is that the camera swung into the corner of my
Manfrotto tripod head. The tulip hood didn't do a thing to
protect it.

There is a tiny scratch, maybe five mm long that doesn't show up
in any pictures, though.  I'm hard pressed to see any
effect--even when shooting directly into the sun.  Optics are
pretty forgiving.

My kneejerk reaction was to immediately throw a "protective
filter" on my lens, but refrained.

Why now?  Why after all these years did I just now damage a
lens?

Easy answer. I almost always keep a lens cap on my lenses, but
at the time I was using the worthless Olympus lenscap that you
can't put on or off with the hood in place.  Now I use one of
those Tokina/Minolta types that has the center pinch releases.

Only one lens damage incident in 20 years.

I've gone through times of UV/Skylight filter usage, but it only
takes one sunset to change my mind again.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com