[OM] Re: Protective Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: Protective Filters
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:14:21 -0700
The sensor itself reflects a significant amount of light? I don't know how
the low pass filter works but it would seem that the light reflected from
the sensor back through the low pass filter would be "smeared" significantly
since the filter is surely(?) closer to the sensor than to the lens. Film
also reflects light but it scatters the light so that a focused reflection
isn't seen. It would seem  to me that the low pass filter should prevent a
focused reflection from the sensor(?)

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

I hear you and I don't use "protective" filters myself; gave that up
long ago for decent lens hoods.  However, something doesn't seem to
compute.  I would assume (I know, assumptions are dangerous) that
1) multicoated surfaces pass 99.5% of the light and reflect only 0.5%
2) the low pass filter on the sensor is multicoated
3) the backside of the UV or other filter is multicoated

If all three are true then only 0.5% can be reflected back to the front
filter,

Chuck Norcutt