[OM] Re: 4/3 portrait lens focal length

Subject: [OM] Re: 4/3 portrait lens focal length
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 08:03:50 -0400
Perspective is controlled by the distance between camera and subject.
If 100mm gave you your desired perspective on 35mm film then 50mm will
give you the same perspective on a 4/3's frame.

If you use the 100mm on the 4/3's camera you will have to stand twice as
far away in order to frame the subject the same way as with a 35mm
camera.  That change of distance is what will change the perspective.
If you use a 50mm lens you can still frame the subject the same way at
the same distance you used with the 100mm lens on the 35mm camera.
Preserving the distance to the subject preserves the perspective.

To make this a little more visual, imagine a post sticking out of the
ground at the very edge of the frame half way between you and the
subject.  If you have to back up to maintain the same angle of view of
the subject, the position of that post will move inward on the frame as
you back up.  That's perspective change.

The bottom line is; to preserve the same perspective abide by the "crop
factor".  The same rule pertains to the difference in film sizes between
35mm and medium format and between medium format and large format.  A
"normal" lens for any given format is approximated by the diagonal of
the film frame.  Adhering to that rule will define focal lengths for
each format having the same perspective since it allows shooting the
same angle of view from the same distance.  The rule is only approximate
since using the diagonal of the film alters relationships between image
sizes because of the varying aspect ratios between film/sensor sizes.

Chuck Norcutt