[OM] Re: Southwest Trip - Pictures (new links)

Subject: [OM] Re: Southwest Trip - Pictures (new links)
From: Johnny Johnson <jjohnso4@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 01:10:59 -0400
At 12:27 AM 6/23/2006, Jeff Keller wrote:

>Very nice Johnny ... except you've made me wish I was there.

Thanks.

>The one difference is that your images seem to only
>have orange tones. I've seen some that have reds, whites, and purple. They
>may have used some fill flash.

The exposure times can make a great deal of difference.  Normal to
underexposed shots seem to lean toward the purples while
over-exposures start picking up the oranges.  I shot most exposures
at +1 and f14-f16.  The exposure times varied from ~3 seconds to ~30 seconds.

>I also read that you had to be in the canyon at almost exactly noon or the
>light wouldn't work. Apparently you were there at the right time.

I believe it varies with the time of year.  We had light shafts from
around noon to 1:00 PM but most had disappeared by 12:15.

>What lens(es) did you end up using and which Contax lenses were you thinking
>of using?

I originally packed Zuikos in 24mm and 200mm plus 28mm and 50mm in
Contax. I also included a 100mm Canon.  But, most of the pictures on
the trip were shot with Canon L glass - a 24-70 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8 IS.

Later,
Johnny

Johnny Johnson
Cleveland, GA