[OM] Re: 500/5.6 Rubinar / MTO Catadioptric lens

Subject: [OM] Re: 500/5.6 Rubinar / MTO Catadioptric lens
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 22:19:55 -0400
It's a Maksutov with integral secondary.  A 500/5.6 has a 90mm diameter
corrector.  It's still possible to build a Maksutov corrector of that
small size economically.  Celestron starts building Schmidt correctors
at 5" (125mm) as they've had that technology down pat since the late
60's.  Maksutovs start to get very expensive very quickly once you pass
the 90mm mark.  Check the price of a Questar 7" to be reminded.  Finding
a good, bubble free piece of glass that large and with the required
thickness is difficult.

Chuck Norcutt