[OM] 500/5.6 Rubinar / MTO Catadioptric lens

Subject: [OM] 500/5.6 Rubinar / MTO Catadioptric lens
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 12:49:52 -0700
My interest got drawn into searching for info on the MTO catadioptirc
lenses. I came a cross a statement that the Spiratone mirror lenses were
actually MTO lenses. I can't find the original link but I found another that
suggests there could be a connection. Fred Spira, the founder of Spiratone,
apparently imported MTO lenses.

http://www.beststuff.com/forum/read.php?21,31290,31310#msg-31310

Has anyone had any experience with the 500/5.6 Rubinar or MTO lens?

Apparently the quality varied dramatically but the good ones seem to have
been good.
Also it appears that the early MTO lenses had a shallow flange-back
distance. The infinity focus could be readjusted to make them work with
SLRs. If that is nothing more than moving the primary mirror closer to the
secondary mirror, it would seem that the secondary mirror wouldn't be large
enough to reflect all of the light back towards the camera. Has anyone seen
any detailed info?

Thanks,
-jeff