[OM] Re: [OT] Lighting

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Lighting
From: "Johann Thorsson" <johann@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 11:39:05 -0700
> Yeah, I've got the ring flash, but I also have the E-thingy twins, which I
> prefer because they can be configured to provide better lighting in many
> situations than the flat light from the ring flash. A "main" and a "fill"
> always look better to me when any sort of depth is desired. And, too, the
> E-twins have all those features I always longed for with the T-28 twins:
> variable power at the twist of a knob between left and right at up to an
> 8:1 ratio either way, modelling lights that don't require a separate
> two-pounds-apiece battery pack, and diffusing filters that snap on and
> stay on.  With the T-28 twins, I used ND filters and plastic sheets of
> diffusing stuff secured variously by Scotch tape, rubber bands, velcro,
> spit -- everything but duct tape or epoxy.  And, of course, a Quantum
> battery pack soups up the FC-1 for nearly instant recycling, with either
> twins or ring.
>
> Walt, the bug blinder

Thank you for that comment.  I have not considered the T-28 because I
thought it might be too bulky and could catch on to something while crawling
through the bushes.  But perhaps I should look for T-28 as well.  I have
experimented with using external flashes + slave triggers, that works fine
but is clumsy to work with in the field.

>Then maybe what you want is CH Ling's inexpensive macro flash solution.
><http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/flash-d.htm>
>
>He has lots of very nice insect macro shots taken with this rig.
><http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/photo2.htm>
><http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/photo9.htm>
>
>Chuck Norcutt

This is great (and cheap, I like that)!!  I could make this really easily.

Thanks guys!