[OM] Re: What's up on this list???

Subject: [OM] Re: What's up on this list???
From: Paul Braun <cygnus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 07:37:20 -0500
Moose wrote:

> I'm personally moved and privileged to be part of a group where a member
> may post about his feelings about an unexpected death of a pet and
> receive so much support. I'm also amazed and find it very enjoyable to
> discover how many cat lovers happen to be in the group - and how many
> seem to be cat slaves.  :-)   Supportive community is something that is
> hard to find for many people these days. The list has really brought
> together an amazing group whose breadth of knowledge, experience,
> compassion and geography is often astonishing to me.

I belong to a newsgroup of people who originally were bound together by
common ownership of a particular computer-based recording system. Over
the years, we've developed into quite an online family.  When the
company that made our hardware was purchased by Creative (the sound card
people), Creative quickly decided to kill off our system.  So we were
all left with orphans, much like olympus and the OM's.

Now some of the group members own studios professionally, and eventually
needed capabilities that were not available with the older system and
would never be.  So they sold their rigs and moved on to other
platforms.  However, the camaraderie in the group has grown to the point
where quite a few of them still hang around simply because we've all
become friends.  OT postings now easily outnumber the on-topic postings,
but that's fine because we all just like hanging out with each other,
sharing what's happening in our lives.  Plus, most of the hints and tips
and questions have already been answered.  It's like a big online pub,
except we have to go get our own beer. If someone starts a conversation
that I'm not interested in, I move to a different table and join that
one.  But I still stay in the pub because my friends are there.

> One thing you might consider is switching your subscription to the
> individual emails. That way, it's pretty easy to just select and delete
> but sometimes threads just don't apply to me and I just click on the
> sort by subject button, highlight and dump 'em. With the digest, you
> pretty much have to plow through everything. The other way, you can
> tailor the list to taste. Depending on what email software you use, you
> could have certain common thread subjects that don't interest you simply
> shuffled away without ever seeing them.

This is what I do.  I've never like digests - I prefer to see individual
subject lines.  Also, on digest-mode people tend to hit "reply" and not
change the subject, so you see "RE: Diegest #48761" which is meaningless.

--

Paul Braun
Valparaiso, IN

"There's a fine line between stupid, and clever." - David St. Hubbins

"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon