[OM] Re: Harald Johnson's book

Subject: [OM] Re: Harald Johnson's book
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 15:58:35 -0700
Piers Hemy wrote:
> Someone here mentioned the 2nd edition of Harald Johnson's book "Mastering
> Digital Printing" - Moose, was it you?

Yes, possibly among others.
> Is the 2nd edition (2004) a significant advance on the 1st (2002)?  The f1st
> is becoming a bit dated, thoguh the principles remain the same - I suspect
> that even the 2nd will fall victim to the same symptom of the onward
> relentless march.  Very grateful for views.

Unlike the first, I haven't sat down and read through it. I still may do
so. Rereading something complex will refresh my memory and add whatever
is new in the new edition.

So far, though, I've just done a little randomish dipping and looked up
a couple of specifics when they were issues for what I was doing. I did
find some differences in the section on B&W conversion, where he dropped
a technique I'd found useful before. I don't know why.
> Of course, even the 1st has examples of the work of Jan Steinman, late of
> this list (and even has a photo of Jan printing) so the 2nd has that to live
> up to.

Indeed!

Moose