[OM] Re: Another stupid question

Subject: [OM] Re: Another stupid question
From: Michael Collins <l43g20th@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:41:49 -0400

On 6/16/06 2:49 PM, "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> ... "This self-extracting file contains the Third Party Print Accounting
> Software Patch for Windows XP. This patch improves compatibility with selected
> third party print accounting software in Windows XP."
>
> ...What the hell is "third party accounting software,"... Do I need it?  And
> if so, what the **** for?

Speaking as a one-time developer and supplier of *print* accounting software
(for the Mac): it tracks number of pages printed/plotted, plus typically the
paper size and in many cases client, job, and user information, for print or
plotter jobs. Professional firms (legal, graphic arts, advertising,
branding, architectural, etc.) like to bill clients for this as
disbursements, especially colour prints which can be quite expensive. It
also serves as a bit of a check on art directors and other "creative" types
who think nothing of printing page after page with minor colour tweaks, with
no thought to the actual cost to the firm.

Unless you have a CDFO watching your every printing move, I doubt you'd need
it :-) .

Michael