[OM] Re: FS: Acer scanwit 2720s

Subject: [OM] Re: FS: Acer scanwit 2720s
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:31:16 -0400
I own one of these and consider the price not unreasonable.  It's
actually a pretty good scanner but does not have an IR channel as does
the later 2740s model.  The included software does a good job on well
exposed images but VueScan can do much better.

Probably the biggest down side is that the slide holder was apparently
designed by a Neanderthal.  It's plastic and the tension springs that
hold the slides in place are an integral part of the molding.  Initially
they're so tight that it takes too much pressure to insert the slides
and later on the springs break off.  The best solution it to just cut
them off and glue on small pieces of springy foam at two corners to act
as light weight springs.  Usability is then considerably improved.

There is a fairly inactive email support group called 2720 on Yahoo
Groups.  Not much traffic there these days but the archives contain a
lot of material on resolving common problems.  A few people have
reported problems after upgrading to XP.  XP drivers are supplied by
Benq (used to be Acer) and I think the XP problems, when they occur, are
related to SCSI support which I think Microsoft gives short shrift in XP.

The film holders hold 6 negatives or 4 slides and will run in batch mode
scanning all or only those you select.  I bought an extra set of film
holders so I could be loading one set while the other was scanning.  I
think the holders are still available fron Benq.  Check the Benq support
page on their website.  They have or used to have a separate page for
miscellaneous parts and supplies.

Don't try to run it on other than the SCSI card.  Several have tried
various USB to SCSI converters (including Adaptec) and all have ended in
failure.  Use the Acard SCSI card included or an Adaptec 2906 which is
25 pin SCSI II.

Chuck Norcutt