[OM] Re: Film scanner + Vuescan opinions wanted

Subject: [OM] Re: Film scanner + Vuescan opinions wanted
From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 17:13:07 +0100
paul wrote:
> I have a Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 which I was looking to upload to eB*y
> but I'd be happy to sell it on to someone on this list first. The
> scanner comes complete with an Adaptec SCSI PCI card and cable and works
> fine in Windows XP etc (you just need to install the Adaptec ASPI
> drivers from
> http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/support/scsi_soft/ASPI/ASPI-4.70/. No need
> to use the drivers that come with the Polaroid software - in fact, I'd
> advise against it as they're fiddly to do).

I was looking at a Sprintscan 4000 on Ebay actually, but it went for some
stupid amount (a few hundred quid, though it had a few spare slide/film
holders and a load of other bits with it that didn't seem to be standard).

> It has the original manuals as well as the Polaroid scanning software
> (which I don't like at all)

Apparently very few people do, if Google is to be believed...

> Anyway, I know you wanted to be contacted off-list, but I'm not sure
> whether you'd be interested in it, and I'm also not sure what these
> things go for these days so maybe the listees can throw in some numbers.
> I was thinking of somewhere around £150 for the scanner + SCSI
> card/cable + software, but if that's outrageous then I won't be offended
> :).  I cost me around £250 a couple of years ago.

I've been offered a Minolta DiMAGE Scan Dual IV, which is 3200DPI and has
16-bit acquisition and multi-scanning. No infra-red dust elimination or
anything like that, though.
Dynamic range is specified to be 3.6 on the Minolta, vs. the Polaroid's 3.4. I
guess this would mainly affect extraction of detail from shadow areas?

I'm more interested in optical quality than anything else. The thing that's
most off-putting about the Polaroid is that it's fixed-focus, while the
Minolta has autofocus hardware (so in theory it should be able to get a better
image off the film)...

Seems there's far too many scanners to choose from, and no easy way to decide...

Thanks.
--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G