[OM] Re: OT What's happening in Europe?

Subject: [OM] Re: OT What's happening in Europe?
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 17:35:46 -0400

Just returned from the UK . . . and I thought the hype here over the
Superbowl was bad. <g> Favorite sighting was one of those ear-piece thingies
for cell phones, white, with the red cross of St. George. Now there's a
dedicated fan! Took one train to Portsmouth, another to Dover. Couldn't
count the English flags hanging in windows facing the tracks. The London cab
we took to dinner last Sunday night had a driver's compartment festooned
with enough St. George crosses to drive any self-respecting dragon to drink.

Favorite television moment: One of the morning news shows doing a story from
Scotland about football fans chanting "Anybody but England!" (Not that I
agreed with them, mind you, but it was funny.)

I'm glad my kid played soccer. At least I had the faintest notion of what
all the fuss was about . . . and then I wandered away from football and read
a report of a cricket match. Ouch! What was it Churchill said? Two great
nations divided by a common language. Phew!

--Bob