[OM] Re: Using T-32 Flash Extender with E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Using T-32 Flash Extender with E-500
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 11:41:25 -0400
I don't have any kind of diffuser for my T-32's (other than umbrellas)
but use Sto-fen and Lumiquest diffusers on my Sunpaks.  If you're in a
large room you may want to bounce off the ceiling with no diffuser since
the diffusers will cost you roughly 2 stops.  If you're in a small room
I think the Sto-fen might work best on the T-32, also with some bounce
off the ceiling or even straight up for a very diffuse light.  It will
certainly be smaller, more robust and easier to install and remove than
the Lumiquest (which is said to be T-32 compatible).

With the Sto-fen I think you might even be able to dispense with the
flash extender.  Try some shots of the wife or kids in a dark room first
to make sure you're not getting red eye.

I use the Lumiquest when I'm in a situation where I can't bounce off the
ceiling or walls and have to shoot straight on.  Either outside or in a
room too large or maybe with a dark paneled ceiling.  Then I put the
flash in a Stroboframe bracket so it's high over the centerline of the
lens.  The flash extender will help with that but won't get it as high
as the bracket.  When shooting straight on you want the flash over the
center line and quite high such that the shadow of the subjects is cast
down and directly behind them.  To further avoid shadows try to avoid
shooting subjects who are very close to walls or other large background
objects.

If you buy Lumiquest I'd buy the Pocket Bouncer for straight ahead
shooting.  Some like the 80/20 but I think the Sto-fen might be a better
bet when it comes to bouncing light.  By the Sto-fen and the Lumiquest
Pocket Bouncer.  Each has their application.

Chuck Norcutt