[OM] Re: E-1 with generic auto-thyristor flash

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 with generic auto-thyristor flash
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:14:19 -0700 (PDT)
For what it's worth, let me pass on one of my setups. This is
Memory #3 on my E-1. Memory #4 is the natural light setting.

For use with the Vivitar 285HV and Lumiquest Ultrabounce light
modifier:

Flash: Auto-Yellow, head tilted up 45 degrees, ISO 400.

Camera:  ISO 400, Auto-Aperture, WB 5300 (-1 step), Exposure
Compensation -1.5, Aperture set to 4.5 (give or take one stop).

This configuration works INDOORS and in almost any distance from
2 meters to 10 meters (depending on ceiling). The -1.5 exposure
compensation allows the camera to "drag the shutter" to give the
room a nice ambient light. Even if the flash were to fail for
some reason, you still may have a usable shot to work with. If I
need more distance than 8 meters I either remove the Ultrabounce
or scab the ISO up to 800.  It is important to keep an eye on
the shutter speed that it doesn't exceed the 1/180 max flash
sync speed.

Now, would I normally recommend aperture priority mode when
shooting with an old-technology flash? No. The recommended
method is to always use manual shutter speed and aperture. If
I'm shooting outdoors for instance, it is going to be a bit of a
hassle to keep the shutter speed form exceeding 1/180 so locking
in that setting is absolutely required.

A little trick I do, when I know the meter will get fooled is to
initially start out in aperture-priority mode with the -1.5
exposure compensation and note what the indicated shutter speed
is. I take a couple test shots to verify everything, and then I
change the camera mode to Manual and dial in that specific
shutter speed.  I dispise the "match-needle" metering in the E-1
as it goes the wrong direction in relation to the control
wheels.  Anyway, I learned this technique with the OM-2S where I
almost always use auto-exposure mode, but have my "stand by
shutter speed" dialed in. It's just a flick of the lever to go
from auto to manual and right back. This way, if I'm shooting
bright-sunny daylight, I can program in my Sunny-16 equivelent
shutter speed and always be safe if I know the meter is being
fooled.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com