[OM] (OT?) Back From Southwest Trip

Subject: [OM] (OT?) Back From Southwest Trip
From: "Jay Drew" <dreaded@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 13:09:56 -0700
>Hi folks,
<snip>

>A few comments/observations:
<snip>

>I saw more Frenchmen (and women) in a month than I did on a week long
>visit to France.  I guess the weak dollar makes it very inexpensive
>to visit here and lots of Europeans were doing it.
>
>I saw lots of guys wearing what looked like "pedal pushers".  I
>wonder if that's a European thing or maybe a California thing?  You
>sure don't see guys wearing anything like that around here.

I'm in California, and I don't see pedal pusher stuff for guys.  But maybe
it's in Berkeley thing, that's not part of California, or anywhere else.

More importantly, what where the French women wearing?

>The least we paid for gas was $2.659 per gallon in Tennessee.  The
>most we paid for gas was $3.259 per gallon at the Desert View service
>center in the Grand Canyon national park.  Just outside the south
>entrance the price was $3.359.

Ah, the good old days of cheap gas.  And I'm saying that $3.359 is beginning
to look cheap (OUCH!!!)

>I believe that the majority of Hummers sold in the US must be to
>Californians and a goodly portion of them were visiting Sodona at the
>same time we were.  Please don't ask what I was doing in Sodona.

I am going to ask, were you in Sodona photographing the elusive California
Yuppie?

<snip>

>Some of my worst moments were at Zion, Bryce, and the south rim of
>the Grand Canyon - loads of tour buses and lots of people that
>haven't learned how to lock their car doors with the remote without
>pushing the button twice and causing the car horn to beep!  I'd like
>to string up the engineer (or marketing guy) that thought that was a
>desirable feature to add.

God forbid that they actually push the lock button on the door then shut it.
But they may be testing the car alarm before they go off on a hike where
they wouldn't hear the alarm or wouldn't be able to get back to it before
the car was stripped clean.

I went through those three areas in the Fall many, many years ago.  No
crowds and the colors of Fall.   There may be crowds now, hopefully the fall
colors still occur.

Jay