[OM] Re: 50-200 vs. Tamron 80-200

Subject: [OM] Re: 50-200 vs. Tamron 80-200
From: "om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 15:55:41 -0400
I had the famed Tamron 80-200/2.8 for about 20 years and it was a superb
lens.  I think that the images that I get from my ZD 50-200 are every bit
it's equal.

However, I'm not thrilled with the mechanics of the ZD, with it's
telescoping, cammed operation.  I really liked the push-pull Tamron, which
was very solid.  The ZD isn't as heavy as the confidence-exuding Tamron;
but there's nothing that says that heavy = durability.  I worry a little
about the telescoping action pulling dust into the 50-200, even if it has
seals.  I've also noticed that the 50-200 gets zomm-stiff when it gets
wet....but that disappears within 30 minutes of drying out.

So in the end, I think the 50-200 is more versatile lens on the E-1 than
the 80-200 on an OM body.  If you were to compare the new, pro-spec ZD
35-100/2.0 I think you'd see a difference.  I don't have experience with
the Tamron on an E-system body.

Skip