[OM] Serpent!! [was 5D heart attack, was: Re: Hi-res shootout]

Subject: [OM] Serpent!! [was 5D heart attack, was: Re: Hi-res shootout]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 22:41:36 -0700
Wayne S wrote:
> Which reminds me. One more gripe with the 5D versus the E1.
> The E1 has a lock button on the mode dial, while the 5D
> does not, which I hate as the mode dial always gets bumped
> pulling the camera out of the bag. It is amazing how some
> simple details like that make a real difference. For the cost
> you would think a little lock button could be added.
I do prefer the location of the mode dial on the 300D, where it is not
easily changed by outside influences and easily changed with my thumb,
but I can see where there isn't room for it there on the 5D and I'm
happy to put up with it in exchange for the big screen on the back.
> I have lost shots because the camera switched to P mode and the
> DOF got lost before I had a chance to figure it out.

Are you aware of what Can*n calls "program shift" in Program Mode? It
means you can easily change the combo of aperture and shutter speed
chosen by Program Mode on the fly. Press the shutter button halfway,
then use the main dial on top to select the combo you want. It is
documented on pg. 85 of the manual. The 300D does this too, leading me
to believe all their DSLRs may.
> http://www.zuik.net/om/p_MG_6660.jpg
>
> I couldn't figure out why my aperture kept changing itself back
> to F/4 until it was too late.

But it's such a great shot as it is! Are you sure it isn't some kind of
AI in the camera?  :-) With the focus on the eye so perfect, the shallow
DOF really highlights the key part of the subject.

Moose