[OM] Scenic New England and PTLens [was, New photo essay posted]

Subject: [OM] Scenic New England and PTLens [was, New photo essay posted]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 22:17:05 -0700
Wayne S wrote:
> ......................... I'm the kid you see the back of the
> head. The kid with the bag is a bag of fireworks, another holds
> a punk to light them. The trailer thing was a common item, made
> from spare stuff, old axles, etc. fungus has started to eat away at
> the Ecktachrome. http://www.zuik.net/om/Dad_e60_006.jpg

Great memory shot!
> I have started to notice that my neck of the woods, New England, has
> a lot of very interesting photographic opportunities.
Well, duh! I travel across the country to take shots there.  :-)   Not
that there aren't wonderful ones here, too, but they are very different.
We are just starting to talk about when to go to New England this year.
I'm guessing Sept.
> It seems my eyes
> have been opened in some way over the last several months. Not that
> it has translated into some good photos,
Somehow, I doubt that. I like the one below, for example.
> but just noticing things, just off the beaten path, there is a lot to see and
> photograph. Just 1/2 mile down the road from my new work place is an old
> bridge.... You can see from this shot the slow replacement of the railing:
>
> http://www.zuik.net/om/bridge_MG_6960.jpg

Have you tried PTLens? It's like magic, and free. It has lens specific
linear distortion info, including the 24-105 used to take this shot.
Even a small tilt will throw off the results, so I had to rotate a tiny
bit first, then apply PTLens
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/tech/bridge_MG_6960.htm>. I think it
really makes a difference with a shot like this one. The tilt and
distortion take the eye away from just looking at the subject to seeing
the unnatural part.
> I could have easily driven over this bridge and never noticed before.
> But just choosing to start looking can go a long way toward seeing.
> Life seems to be rushing by, and it is easy to not stop and take a shot.
> I'm not exactly sure what I'm rushing toward. In a way, this bridge
> symbolizes the current state of society. The old railings had a certain
> character, today, they are just posts, all the same. Just get it done,
> who cares what it looks like. I'm not sure anyone would spend the
> time and energy to make a bridge like this anymore.  Especially for
> just a measly side road off the beaten path.
>
> It seems the more my time has demands on it, the more I crave the
> moments to just spend seeing the ordinary world in a fascinating way.

Good luck! Sounds like you are finding a start.

Moose