[OM] Re: Rethinking the Tree Rodent

Subject: [OM] Re: Rethinking the Tree Rodent
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 17:23:24 -0300

> Hi Wayne,
>
> My wife sent your photo off to the Massachusetts Audubon Society for their
> amusement and here's their reply:
>
> Thanks for the photo, and your inquiry. The squirrel in the photo is a red
> squirrel, not a gray squirrel and they are far more carnivorous than the
> gray. Their diet is mainly made up of seeds, nuts and berries. They will
> occasionally eat birds and bird eggs and have been known to eat young gray
> squirrels and cottontail rabbits.
>

> I thought that squirrel looked a bit like a red squirrel.  They're nasty
> little devils. 8-)  Great shot btw.
>
> Richard

Yes, I knew it was a red squirrel. Gray squirrels are quite a bit larger,
and here in NB live mostly only in towns that have a few mature trees. We
live in a rural area, so there are none here.
I don't think we have cottontail rabbits, but we do have rabbits, or more
properly I think the ones we have are called hares. I'd guess it would take
more than one red squirrel to wrestle one of them down though.

Wayne