[OM] Re: First Zuiko shots on 5D - and praise for the WhiBal

Subject: [OM] Re: First Zuiko shots on 5D - and praise for the WhiBal
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 16:15:39 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Very intersting.  My 50/3.5 on the E-1 holds up extremely well
> at nearly all apertures. The biggest thing I notice is loss of
> contrast at the extremes.  If it's this good on the cropped 4/3
> sensor, I can only imagine what it would be like on a FF digital
> that doesn't need nearly as much magnification for final print
> size.

It's a lot like with film, but with less noise at any given iso above
maybe 200. I'll have to admit that most of the use to which mine have
been put is flat copy work on a copy stand. I suppose that's just about
what its design is optimized for. In that use at f8 or f11, it is pretty
near perfect, razor sharp to the corners, no vignetting, nice contrast
and no linear distortion I've noticed.

Outdoors, I find the short working distance frustrating and the bokeh
often unpleasant.
> BTW, last night I was shooting a scene handheld with my E-1 with
> the 14-54.  It absolutely floors me how vibration-free this
> camera is.  Out of about 50 pictures that were taken at twice as
> slow as recommended minimum (1/60 at 60mm equiv), about 10%
> showed any image degradation due to motion.  I've never, ever
> used a camera as smooth as this, except for my A1.

Clearly one of the advantages of the E-1, which its successor should
share - before the next century?

I suspect that it's due more to smaller moving parts and greater mass
than OM bodies than to better shock absorbing technology. The 5D
benefits from this ratio too, though to a lesser extent, I would think,
than the E-1. The mirror components are full size, but the body bigger
and more massive than an OM. Firing a John H. CLAed OM-1 and the 5D one
after the other a few times, my hands feel less vibration in the 5D. The
sounds are wildly different, so it's hard to tell, but it seems to me
the 5D is slightly softer, again probably the extra size/weight and
different construction doing more muffling.

One obvious thing about the 5D is that it's FAST. It's like an OM-2n,
except you leave it in the on position with short auto-off set. Looks
off, but bring it up to your eye and press the shutter release and it
just takes the picture - right now. With the 28-300 on it, I can zoom
out to 300 mm, which is f6.3 maximum aperture, point it at a dark corner
of my dimly lit study, and poink -it's focused - now. It just gets in
the way less. I realize it's not instantaneous, but it seems, for now at
least, to have gone below whatever minimum makes it seem transparent in
use to me.

I just now got up, picked up the camera with 24-85 USM lens on it,
walked to the front door, manually setting focus to closest on the way,
pointed outdoors and pushed the button. Shutter lag just a tiny bit
longer than the OM-1, but of course, it focused in that time too.

Moose