[OM] Re: First Zuiko shots on 5D - and praise for the WhiBal

Subject: [OM] Re: First Zuiko shots on 5D - and praise for the WhiBal
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 17:04:15 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:
> Ah, the truth comes out. :)  They're will be plenty of
> opportunities to take pictures with it--but for now, it's button
> pressing time.
Best to learn how it works and what it can and can't do first.

I have taken some non-test shots, including some I like as images, not
ground breaking, but nice, but they weren't tech tests or taken with OM
mount lenses.

Here's one taken in a neighbor's yard shortly after receiving the
camera. Everything just as the camera comes, AF, evaluative metering,
Standard Picture Mode, except I used aperture pref .to control the
f-stop setting. This is a full pixel crop, straight out of the camera
and through the Canon RAW converter without adjustment
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/FFpoppy.htm>.

To me, it has a 3D quality with a sense of effortless detail that I
haven't seen in most full pixel samples I've seen from other DSLRs. Oh,
that's at iso 400, btw.

It only benefits from a tiny bit of LCE, compared to the 300D and scans
of film. Also very little Curves, with the Standard Picture Mode. A
little additional sharpening does bring up the detail better.

Moose