[OM] Re: First Zuiko shots on 5D - and praise for the WhiBal

Subject: [OM] Re: First Zuiko shots on 5D - and praise for the WhiBal
From: paul <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 10:55:15 +0100
Moose wrote:

>It's been rainy the last couple of days, with clouds low enough to make
>it foggy here.
>
>So I shot some irises sitting in a vase. Just test shots so the
>backgrounds aren't right, but I think the flowers came out quite well
><http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/CAirises/>.
>
>At first, I was having a terrible time with the shots in the RAW
>converter and PS, Didn't look right, couldn't seem to fix them. Then I
>thought "Doh!", may have slapped my head, and ran in to take a shot of
>the WhiBal in it in the same light. Presto, click on the gray in the
>converter, process the others with the same setting, and suddenly
>everything it great. The lighting was an odd mix of tungsten, those bulb
>replacement florescents behind opal glass and a little gray outdoor light.
>
>Yeah, I know, the E-1 would have nailed the WB without help. :-)

You sound just like me when I first used OM lenses on the 5D - WB was
all over the place to start with. As you say, the E-1 has a much more
robust auto WB setting. Anyway, you'll have a great time with these
lenses on the FF format. I find it gives me both the old-school pleasure
of working with some great old manual lenses and the instant
gratification of digital. It's quite addictive!

Paul