[OM] [mostly OT] I told ya I could do it better...

Subject: [OM] [mostly OT] I told ya I could do it better...
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 17:49:56 -0400
Remember, I said the other day:

------------------
And I hope to do a lot better than these shots
<http://www.bostonreceptionsites.com/Brooksby_Farm_wedding/reception/index.htm>

------------------

Well, I did.  Check out:
<http://www.chucknorcutt.com/smith%20barn/index.htm>

The first of the three images is one of a number of group shots.  After
a quick review I picked this one as the sample.  I may pick another one
later or pick several and make a composite to fix grumpy expressions,
crying babies, etc.

The second image is a 1:1 crop of a section containing bride and groom
at the front of the group.  The third image is a 1:1 crop of some folks
at the rear of the group.  I'm not sure of the distance. Maybe 75 feet?
  Images 2 and 3 on your monitor are roughly the equivalent of cropped
sections of a 32x48" print.  I didn't expect lens and camera to perform
as well as what we see in image 3.

The camera is a Canon 5D with a Tokina 28-80/2.8 at 28mm.  The shot was
taken at ISO 400, f/9 at 1/4 second.

Lighting upstairs was four Alien Bees B800's hidden behind the support
posts in the loft.  Here's the on-topic part.  The ground floor level
lighting was two T-32's in manual mode shooting through an umbrella to
light the front of the bridal party.

The bride's dress is actually slightly overexposed in parts (a no-no) in
this quickie raw conversion but not enough that it can't be fixed later
in a more refined version.  This one is simply processed as shot.

The only problem is that this was an "expensive" shot.  It took almost
two hours to haul the equiment into the barn, up the stairs, set it up
and then adjust it such that the lighting was even across the whole
length of the barn to less than 1/3 stop... including the two T-32's.

I used inexpensive (aka cheap) radio slaves from oboy.  One receiver
took care of the T-32's on the ground floor and the closest B800 both of
which were not more than 15-20 feet away.  The built-in optical slaves
on the B800's took care of firing the other three.

I think this one needs to be made into a really big print.  I think the
bride will be happy.  There's an equally well lit shot of the first
dance taken from the same vantage point.

Chuck Norcutt