[OM] Re: Semi OT: Cokin Polarizer

Subject: [OM] Re: Semi OT: Cokin Polarizer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 17:27:26 -0700
Oops. sorry about the blank response...

Jay Drew wrote:
> Anyone with opinions on the Cokin Polarizer (circular).  I'd have posted to
> the 35mm newsgroups but I don't have asbestos underwear for the flames that
> would result.  This is a more civilized audience.
>
> The target lenses are Vivitar 19-35 and Vivitar Series 1 28-90.  I like the
> 28-90 but it vignettes at the slightest provocation at the wide end.  An
> alternative might be a slim 77mm that might/might not work with the 19-35
> and I'd probably have to sell one of the kids.  I'd prefer not to sell
> either one because I've got too much money invested in their teeth.  A B & W
> 105mm would force me to sell both kids.
>
> Moose - I know you're a Vivitar 19-35 user - what say you?

Yup, and later got the Promaster branded version in AF for EOS. The
largest c-pol I have is 55mm and the largest linear is 67mm, so I've
never tried one on the 19-35.

I'm not sure I've used a polarizer since I went digital with a film
scanner. I'm not a big one for carrying a lot of bits and pieces and
most of what I used to use a polarizer for can be done other ways now,
and without the loss of speed:

1. Darkening sky. On a super wide, this doesn't usually work out very
well, as the angle of polarization of sky light varies with angle, so
the effect varies across the frame. On the other hand, it's easy to get
the desired effect in an image editor.

2. Controlling bright reflections. Often works well for this. Post
processing is more work, but usually does the job and will handle all
reflections, not just those with the right angle/polarization.

3. Suppressing reflections on water to photograph what's down in it or
glass to shoot what's behind it. Here, there is no substitute for a
polarizer except finding an angle where the reflections aren't a
problem. An editor is no help. Of course, you can just try to work with
the reflections. I think this shot would be less interesting with a
polarizer <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/GGPark/Flowers/pages/FL36.htm>.

Moose