[OM] Re: 5D heart attack, was: Re: Hi-res shootout

Subject: [OM] Re: 5D heart attack, was: Re: Hi-res shootout
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 19:56:55 -0400
I spent the day on the beaches and shorelines of Gloucester, Essex and
Rockport, Massachusetts today shooting a pretty model along with a small
troup of instructors and friends of instructors from the New England
School of Photography.  Not sure what happened to the other models this
year.  Last year there were about fifteen at this annual event.

Anyhow, the 5D and Tokina 28-80 seemed to perform flawlessly.  I can't
say the same for Chuck.  After a week of rain the sun was out in all its
glory today which was brutal for photography with no shade about.
Forget chimping with the 5D in the sun.  Despite its nice, very large
display you can't see it in the sun.  I'm sure that I'll recover a few
nice images from the day's shoot but after a quick review I can see that
I often didn't have nearly enough fill flash.  I could blame it on the
5D's insufficiently bright screen except that I was carrying a perfectly
good Sekonic light meter capaable of measuring fill flash intensity
relative to ambient light.  I just didn't use it enough.

Anyhow, I am convinced that the camera and lens are fine.  Hope to do
some comparative resolution testing tomorrow.

Chuck Norcutt