[OM] Re: OT - Peaceful 5D arrival, was: 5D heart attack, was: Re: Hi-res

Subject: [OM] Re: OT - Peaceful 5D arrival, was: 5D heart attack, was: Re: Hi-res shootout,
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 15:05:59 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:
> Thanks, Moose.  A most interesting result!  I haven't had a chance to do
> much of anything with mine yet.
Yeah, I'm excited. To have better performance cropped to 1.6 than the
1.6x camera I've been happily using is what I hoped for, but not what I
expected. You could sure never do that with film and get anything like
these results.
> However, it's going to the beach today.
> Hope I don't drop it in the water or the sand.  What a handful though.
> Fitted out with the 28-80 Tokina 2.8 and a Sunpak 522 handle mount
> flash the whole thing weighs 6.4 pounds.
Too heavy for me. I really very seldom use flash and generally prefer to
use iso vs. ozs. and grs. I already have the EF 24-85/3.5-4.5 that I
bought for the 300D. At only 2/3 to 4/3 stop slower, I'm not troubled,
what with the amazing high iso performance of the 5D. And say what you
will about other aspects of their lenses, the full time manually
adjustable USM is really nice. My other brand lenses focus fast enough
and are fine, but aren't as quick and quiet as USM and have to be
switched to MF separately for fine tuning. It's nice to here that
Tokina's solution to that works well in its latest incarnation.

5D with 24-85 is 2# 14oz. (1,305g) and with the Tamron 28-300, 3#
(1,361g). I'm not carrying around any 6 plus pounds unless it goes to at
least 500 mm. :-)

With 19-35, 24-85, 50/1.8, 28-300 and all the OM glass for specialty
use, I'm not looking for lenses right now.

Hope it's a good trip to the beach!

Moose