[OM] Re: Dust solutions [was Spent time with the Dark Side]

Subject: [OM] Re: Dust solutions [was Spent time with the Dark Side]
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 22:55:09 -0400
I remember an MIT student working on some of the early MEMS work
trying to make micro mechanical things like gears. They would not
work because the electrostatic force was so high, they would just
stick and not move. Just try getting some packing peanuts off your hands
on a dry winter day.

The thing people do not realize is that the static charge can be embedded
in the dust and "trapped." Conducting it out may not be possible. Maybe
charging the AA filter with the same polarity of charge will cause the dust
to repel. But what is to prevent the dust from attaching to the nearest
other surface and eventually migrate back to the AA surface?
Perhaps the ionizer produces positive ions that stick to negatively
charged dust and neutralize the dust particle total charge?

The ionizer requires the proper polarity be put forward. So, which polarity
was suppose to be pointed forward? negative or positive? And is the dust
negatively charged? If positive electrode and negatively charge dust, the
positive ions may stick to the negative dust, making it neutral. If negative
electrode and negative charge dust, maybe it causes the material (tape, AA
filter, vinyl record) to become negatively charge and repel the dust???

So who is the science major here who can properly explain this dust thing?
Maybe an ionizer can be embedded in the camera, with specially charge
collector plates to attract and capture the dust?

WayneS