[OM] Re: Spent time with the Dark Side

Subject: [OM] Re: Spent time with the Dark Side
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 16:54:06 -0400
I don't like the grip shape any more than you do but I bought my 5D from
B&H yesterday.  Should be here in a day or two.  Actually, after using
OM's and Minolta digitals it's difficult to like the ergonomics of much
else.  But I need the other stuff the 5D has and have to live with the
bad design.  I'm slowly getting used to it or accommodating it in one
way or another.

I've only used a 5D for a few hours but I've used D30's, 10D's and 20D's
pretty extensively.  They're all about equally lousy in the grip and
ergonomics department.  Canon hasn't learned anything much there in
several years.  Maybe because I and others buy anyhow.  Don't like your
Ford black?  Tough!

Having nearly 4 pounds of camera and lens hanging off the hand calls for
some different solutions.  Most of the time I'm using the camera it has
a flash bracket on it with a nice grippy handle on the left side.  Makes
it a lot easier to hold but tends to get in the way of zooming and
manual focusing.  I've discovered that I can support the flash bracket
on my left shoulder while cradling the lens with the left hand which can
control the zoom and focus rings ala OM's.  Not ideal but I'll figure it
out eventually.  Maybe I need a custom grip.  But I like all those nice,
big and very sensitive pixels.  At least until the arthritis gets worse.

Chuck Norcutt