[OM] Re: Spent time with the Dark Side

Subject: [OM] Re: Spent time with the Dark Side
From: "tOM Trottier" <tOM@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 13:21:49 -0400
Your 5D grip problem seems easy to fix with some epoxy and friction tape.
Not so pretty, but effective. Or you could check with some archivists as to
what is easy to remove
to return it to "pristine".

tOM

On Monday, May 15, 2006 at 9:55,
AG Schnozz <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sorry folks, I just can't do it.
>
> I spent some time again with the 5D. I REALLY want to like this
> camera--really I do.  But I just can't come to grips with the
> grip.  The camera just feels totally wrong.  The weight is
> really nice--it definitely feels a lot lighter than my E-1 and
> the viewfinder is quite decent.  We all know about the image
> quality, no need to dwell there--if it wasn't good, this would
> all be moot.
>
> True to form, My hand went numb in a few minutes. (better than
> the 10D which would do it in seconds).  Ok, why?  I picked up a
> Nikon D200 and it felt a little heavier, but everthing felt much
> better.  My hand did start to complain, but nothing like the
> Canon.  Going back to the E-1, my hand was completely happy.
> What's going on here?  Even my lowly A-1 felt better.
>
> 1. I looked very carefully at the grip shape--it's all in the
> gripshape.  The Canon's faux motor drive grip is more rounded
> and there is no specific "edge" for the finger tips to catch.
> The Nikon has a very well defined "edge"--even better than my
> Olympus. What this means is that my fingers must grip the camera
> tighter to provide the same "leverage".
>
> 2. I then looked at the back.  My thumb was cramping up with the
> Canon and less so with the Nikon, but doesn't at all with either
> the Olympus or the Minolta.  Why?  Because the Olympus and
> Minolta bodies provide a "catch" (jobby) for the thumb. With the
> Canon and Nikon, the thumb has to squeeze the back of the body
> to provide the full grip on the camera. The catch on the Olympus
> and Minolta allow the thumb to just rest there in a normal
> position yet provide the lateral stability necessary to
> counteract the weight of the camera.
>
> 3. Rubber. The E-1 and A1 use a rubbery grip that actually
> "grips". The Nikon is also very good, but the 5D's grip felt
> plasticy--again not as bad as some previous models, but not
> nearly as sticky as what I'm used to.

-- Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur --
   ,__@         tOM Trottier
 _-\_<,         758 Albert St., Ottawa ON Canada  K1R 7V8
(*)/'(*)        N45.412 W75.714         +1 613 860-6633
     Q,  Q,
    </  </      This world, after all our science and sciences, is still
 (`-/---/-')            a miracle; wonderful, inscrutable, magical and more,
~~@~~~~@~~~~~~  to whosoever will think of it. --Thomas Carlyle